Lincolnton, NC ( L TOWN RADIO ) Matthew J. Burton
Now that summer’s officially begun, a lot of people will be headed to the beach, but it’s no secret that some beaches are better than others. So, which beaches are the best in the U.S.?
Well, Florida International University professor Stephen Leatherman, a.k.a. Dr. Beach, has come out with his annual list of the best U.S. beaches based on FIFTY different criteria, like water temperature, sand quality, water color, noise levels and more.
So, what beach tops Dr. Beach’s list this year? The honor goes to Kailua Beach Park in Oahu, Hawaii, which previously topped the list in 1998. According to Dr. Beach, Kailua gets tops honors for its turquoise waters, powdery sand, gentle surf and more. Plus it has free lifeguards and lots of parking.
Dr. Beach’s Top Ten Beaches in the U.S.
- Kailua Beach Park, Oahu, HI
- Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks, NC
- Grayton Beach State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL
- Coopers Beach, Southampton, NY
- Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, HI
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, MA
- Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, FL
- Hapuna Beach State, Park Big Island, HI
- Coronado Beach, San Diego, CA
- Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, SC
Being raised in South Carolina and a frequent visitor to the South Carolina Beaches area such as Myrtle Beach, Garden City, Surf Side Beach…. I was a little sad that they didn’t make the cut. However, We are glad to see that two of our Carolina Beaches made it at least.
We would love to hear from you!!!
- What is your favorite beach in the U.S.?
- What do you love about it?
- What has been your Best summer destination vacation?
Matthew “Matt Man” Burton is the Host of “The Drive Home With Matt Burton” which airs on L Town Radio and Syndicated with iHeart Radio.
You may email Matt at firstname.lastname@example.org