The new school year snuck up on us fast this year, and now that they are back in school it’s time to do our part for kids to get the most benefit out of their education, they have to be in class, which means they have to stay healthy. Well, now the CDC is offering some simple hacks to make sure kids do just that.
The CDC’s nine hacks for back-to-school success include:
- Wash your hands – With germs everywhere, the more kids wash their hands the better chance they won’t make them sick.
- Eat well and be active – It’s essential for kids to maintain a healthy weight or they could be at risk for things like asthma, sleep apnea, bone, and joint problems, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes and more, especially if they are obese.
- Limit sugary drinks – These usually contain way too many calories, which is never good.
- Don’t use e-cigarettes – While they are the most commonly used tobacco product among youth, e-cigarettes do contain nicotine, which is harmful to an adolescent’s developing brain.
- Stay cool – The weather is still pretty warm, so it’s imperative to take steps to stay cool to prevent heatstroke and other heat-related illnesses.
- Stay safe – There are plenty of dangers out there for kids, especially when it comes to falling, so make sure you’re prepared to recognize and respond to concussions.
- Plan for emergencies – Make sure you have an emergency plan set with your kids and practice it, so you know they’re well versed in it.
- Connect with kids at home – When children feel connected to school and family, it can have a substantial impact on their lives well into adulthood.
- Get vaccinated – It’s crucial that your child is immunized since it protects not only them but their classmates, friends, relatives, and others as well.
I’m sure you are already doing these common-sense items but here was your friendly reminder.
- These seem pretty simple, but how many of them are you and your child not doing?
- Do you have an emergency plan with your kids? What is it? Have you practiced it?
- What are your best hacks for keeping your kid healthy during the school year?
So let us hear it!!! We love to hear from you. Comment below!
Matthew “MATT MAN” Burton studied Radio / Digital Media Journalism at Carolina School of Broadcasting and is the Station General Manager / On Air Host of L Town Radio. Matt also is the Host of the Nationally Syndicated Afternoon Show, “The Drive Home with Matt Burton” and “On Air With Matt Burton” on L Town Radio and iHeart Radio channels. To email Matt with a story idea or news tip email at MattBurton@ltownradio.com